Vegetable Momos are a traditional delicacy in Nepal and Tibet. They are one of the most popular fast food in those regions. Momos are steamed dumplings stuffed with variety of fillings, including vegetables and minced meat . Shakahari Rasoi has come up with a recipe of vegetables stuffed steamed dumplings which taste great with a spicy sauce.
Cabbage (Patta gobhi/Bund gobhi) – 1 Cup, finely shredded
Onion- ¼ cup, finely chopped
Green chilies- 2-3 , finely chopped
Grated carrots- one small in size, finely cut
Ginger paste- 2 tbsps
Garlic paste – 2 tbsps
Tomato sauce as per taste
Chili sauce as per taste
Soy sauce – ¼ tsp
All purpose flour (Maida) – 3 Cups
Baking powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
- Finely shred patta gobhi. Rub salt and keep it aside. After 15-20 minutes squeeze out all water.
- Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Add onions and fry till they become pink.
- Add remaining chopped vegetables; green chilies, carrots,cabbage and fry well.
- Add little salt to fasten the process.
- When vegetables are cooked completely, add ginger and garlic paste and fry for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add tomato sauce, chili sauce and soy sauce.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Adjust salt’s amount. Keep the fried vegetables aside.
- Combine maida, salt, baking powder and oil ( around 1 tsp). Knead it into a soft dough.
- Pinch some dough and make a small and a thin chapati out of it. Chapati should be very thin on the edges.
- Add some vegetable mix kept aside in the center of the chapati.
- Fold the edges of the chapati in Japanese fan like fashion and in the end twist and press it in the middle. The idea is just to seal the dumplings so you can fold in any fashion in which you are comfortable.
- Steam the dumplings for 10 to 15 minutes in a steamer. When momos are completely steamed up they become a bit transparent.
- Serve these momos with spicy sauce.
You might also like