Urad Dal Paratha
For the dough
Whole wheat flour (Atta): 3 cups
Oil for making parathas
Urad dal – ½ cup
Roast cumin seeds (Zeera) and grind into a fine powder – 2 tsps
Roast coriander seeds (Dhania) and grind into a fine powder – 2 tsps
Turmeric powder (Haldi) – ½ tsp
Mango powder (Aamchur) – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1-2 tsp
Powdered saunf (Fennel seeds) – 1-2 tsp
Brown cardamom powder (Badi elaichi) – ½ tsp
Salt to taste
- Bring one boil of dal. Turn off the flame. Close the lid for 15 -20 minutes.
- Blend the dal into grainy batter using minimum amount of water.
- Add all remaining ingredients except mango powder and salt (powdered masalas mentioned under stuffing section) in the batter and mix well.
- Heat some oil in kadai.
- Add dal batter and keep stirring till it dries enough to form a dough like thing.
- Add mango powder, salt and mix well.
- Let it cool down at room temperature.
- Make dough out of wheat flour, 1tbsp ghee, salt and lukewarm water.
- Make dough half an hour before and cover with a moist cloth.
- Take a small ball of dough and make it in the shape of a small chapati.
- Add the stuffing in the centre and wrap it and press it.
- Then roll it into a paratha.
- Cook them on tawa by applying ghee until both sides are evenly brown.
- Serve hot with some spicy curry.
You might also like