Moong Dal Dahi Vada (Bhalla)
Dahi vadas or dahi bhallas are usually made of Urad dal, but they equally taste good when made with moong dal. So if you have some yellow moong dal lying around in your kitchen, give this a try and I am sure you and your family would relish the result. For regular urad dal dahi vada, look here.
Mung bean (Yellow moong dal) – ½ cup
Cumin seeds (Zeera) – ½ tsp
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Green chili – 3-4, finely chopped
Salt as per taste
Baking powder – a pinch
Coriander leaves, finely chopped
Red chili powder
Roast cumin powder (Zeera)
Black salt (kala namak)
Imili (tamarind) chutney: Maggi Tamrina sauce is a very good alternative, if you want to reduce the effort.
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak moong dal overnight or for 6-7 hours.
- Next morning grind it to a thick fine paste by adding very little water.
- Add a pinch of baking powder to the paste.
- Add zeera, chopped green chillies, ginger paste and salt to moong daal paste.
- Heat oil in kadai.
- Just dip your palm in water and take a small portion of batter of lemon size and drop it in the hot oil.
- Deep fry them and remove once they become golden yellow in color.
- Dip the vadas in warm water for 15 or 20 secs.
- Squeeze the excess water by pressing each vadas with both your palms, and keep aside.
- Stir the curd, add salt and dip all the vadas into it and leave for some time.
- Serve moong dal vadas by garnishing them with tamarind chutney, cumin powder, red chili powder, chaat masala, black salt and chopped coriander leaves.
You might also like