Lauki ki Sabji (Opo Squash or Bottle Guard Curry) with Wadi
Most of the people, especially kids don’t like lauki, as its preparation is quite simple. In this recipe I have spiced up lauki by adding warrian. These warrian not only spices up lauki but also enhances its taste. Apart from rice and dal , Lauki with wadi can also be enjoyed with paratha.
Lauki (Bottle Guard or Opo Squash): one medium sized, cut into small cubes
Onion : one small sized, finely chopped
Green chilies : 2-3, finely chopped
Cumin seeds (Zeera) : ½ tsp
Urad dal warrian (Wadi) : 2 -3
Turmeric (Haldi) : ½ tsp
Asfoetida(heeng) : 2 to 3 pinches
Garam masala : two pinches
Coriander powder (Dhania) : ½ tsp
Black salt : ½ tsp
Finely chopped coriander leaves
Salt to taste
- Scrap skin and cut lauki into small cubes.
- Fry urad dal warrian and then dip them in water.
- Heat oil in kadhai.
- Add zeera and allow them to splutter.
- Add chopped onions and green chillies.
- After onions turn brown add turmeric, heeng, salt and dhania powder.
- Add lauki pieces and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add warian and then add water enough to submerge lauki. Cover the lid and cook till lauki becomes tender. Keep stirring the sabji as water starts evaporating.
- Add garam masala, black salt and chopped coriander leaves when sabji dries up.
- Serve hot with chapatis or paratha.
If you wish to make lauki without wadi then click here
You might also like