Lauki ki Sabji (Opo Squash or Bottle Guard Curry)
Bottle gourd or Opo squash or lauki or dudhi is one of the favorite vegetables in Indian cuisine and is highly nutritional. This recipe is very simple and is very low own spices. For a spicier recipe, checkout Lauki with wadi recipe.
Some health benefits of Lauki are :
- Low in calories and fat so aids in weight loss.
- It is very cooling as it has high water content so it is the most preferred vegetable in summers.
- Aids against constipation as it is a good source of fiber.
- Treats graying of hair
- Beneficial for skin
- Revitalizes the body.
- Treats insomnia.
I am sure after knowing so many health benefits of Lauki, you would like to incorporate more of this vegetable in your everyday menu. This recipe is made in a very simple way with least amount of spices.
Lauki (Bottle Guard or Opo Squash): one medium sized, cut into small cubes
Cumin seeds (Zeera) : ½ tsp
Turmeric (Haldi) : ½ tsp
Whole dry red chili: 2-3
Salt to taste
- Scrap skin and cut lauki into small cubes.
- Heat oil in kadhai.
- Add zeera and moment they start spluttering add whole dry red chilli.
- Add lauki and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric and salt. Mix well
- Add water enough to submerge lauki. Cover the lid and cook till lauki becomes tender. Start stirring the sabji as when water reduces.
- Dry the sabji completely and serve hot with steamed rice, dal and raita.
You might also like