Lauki Chana (Bottle Guard or Opo Squash with Bengal Gram Lentils)
Lauki (Bottle Guard or Opo Squash): one medium sized, cut into small cubes
Chana dal (Bengal gram) : ½ cup
Onion : one small sized, finely chopped
Green chilies : 2-3, finely chopped
Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds (Zeera) : ½ tsp
Whole dry red chili: 2-3
Turmeric (Haldi) : ½ tsp
Asfoetida(heeng) : 2 to 3 pinches
Garam masala : 2-3 pinches
Roasted cumin powder (Zeera)- ½ tsp
Roasted coriander powder (Dhania) : 1 tsp
Finely chopped coriander leaves
Black salt (kala namak) as per taste
Salt to taste
- Scrap skin and cut lauki into small cubes.
- Wash and soak chana dal for one hour.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker.
- Add zeera and allow them to splutter.
- Add whole red chili.
- Saute chopped onions till they are brown.
- Add and fry ginger and garlic paste till brown.
- Add turmeric, heeng, salt and dhania powder.
- Add soaked dal and stir for few minutes.
- Add lauki and stir for few minutes.
- Add little water (around 1 cup) and pressure cook the whole thing.
- 1-2 whistle at medium flame would be enough. The idea is to soften both lauki and dal and not to mash up dal.
- Stir sabji till extra water dries up.
- Add garam masala, black salt and chopped coriander leaves when sabji dries up.
- Serve hot with chapatis or paratha.
You might also like