Kali Masoor Dal (Black Lentils)
Kali masoor dal (Black Lentils) – 1/2 cup
Onions- one medium, finely chopped
Ginger paste – 1/2 tbsp
Garlic paste – 1/2 tbsp
Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
Black cardamom – 1 small
Bay leaves (Tejpatta) – 1, big in size
Garam masala- ¼ tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder(Haldi) – ¼ tsp
Red chili powder to taste
Asafoetida (Heeng)- a pinch
Salt to taste
- Wash dal and soak in water one hour before the preparation.
- Pressure cook dal with little salt, haldi, ginger and garlic paste at low flame.
- Heat ghee in kadhai, add bay leaves, black cardamom, heeng, zeera and let it crackle.
- When zeera fully splutter, add finely chopped onions. Cook till they are golden brown in color.
- Add well chopped tomatoes and cook till they are completely soft.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Add cooked dal and simmer at very low flame for at 5-10 minutes.
You might also like