Kala Chana Masala /Ghugni (Black Chickpeas Curry)
Kala Chana Masala or Ghugni is another popular Punjabi dish. Its an excellent source of protein and fiber. Its recipe is quite similar to that of chole and is best served with paratha and onion rings.
Black chick pea (Kala chana) – 2 cups, soaked overnight
Cumin seeds (Zeera)- ½ tsp
Bay leaves (Tejpatta) – 3-4, small
Onion- one big, finely chopped
Ginger paste- 2 tbsps
Garlic paste- 2 tbsps
Green chillies – 2-3, chopped finely
Brown cardamom (Badi elaichi) – 1
Roast cumin seeds (Zeera) grounded into a fine powder – ½ tsp
Roast coriander seeds (Dhania) and grounded into fine powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder(Haldi)- ½ tsp
Red chili powder as per taste
Chana masala – 2 tsp approx.
Garam masala – 2 pinches
Coriander leaves, finely chopped
Salt as per taste
- Soak chana in water overnight.
- Pressure cook chana with salt and enough water until soft.
- Store the water in which chanas were pressure cooked as it will be later used for making gravy.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, fry bay leaves and splutter zeera seeds.
- Saute chopped onions till golden.
- Add green chillies.
- Add salt but take care of the amount because you have already added some while cooking chana.
- Add ginger- garlic paste till golden brown.
- Add all powdered dry masalas and mix well.
- Add boiled chana and the water kept aside earlier.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the end sprinkle garam masala and add some lime juice.
- Garnish the preparation with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with parathas and onion salad.
You might also like