Hyderabadi Zafrani Pulav (Saffron Rice)
Rice : 3∕4 cup
Yoghurt or curd: 2 tbsps
Cloves (Laung) – 2-3
Bay leaves (Tejpatta) – 3-4, small
Green cardamom (Chhoti elaichi) : 3-4
Cumin seeds (Zeera) – 1 tsp
Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
Garlic paste – 1tbsp
Onion : one small, finely cut length wise
Cashew nuts(kaju) : 10-12
Raisins (Kishmish) : 2 tbsps
Almonds (Badaam) : 5-8, sliced
Turmeric(Haldi): ¼ tsp
Kasuri Methi (These are dried methi/fenugreek leaves) : 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves , finely chopped : ¼cup
Mint leaves, finely chopped : ½ cup
Black pepper powder (Kali mirch) : ¼ tsp
Brown cardamom powder (Badi elaichi) – ¼ tsp
Cinnamon powder (Dalchini) – 2-3 pinches pinch
Roast cumin seeds (Zeera) and grind into a fine powder – ½ tsp
Roast coriander seeds (Dhania) and grind into a fine powder – 1 tsp
Saffron strands (kesar) : ½ tbsp
Red chili powder as per taste
Milk : 5-6 tbsps
Salt to taste
Ghee for cooking
- Wash rice, drain the water and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Warm the saffron strands a bit , powder it and dissolve it in warm milk ( 5-6 tbsps). Keep it aside.
- Fry all the dry fruits (Cashew nuts, raisins, almonds) and keep them aside.
- Fry rice for 3-4 minutes. Keep them aside.
- Heat some ghee and add clove, bay leaves and green cardamoms and let it brown.
- Add cumin seeds and fry till the seeds stop spluttering.
- Add finely sliced onions and fry till it becomes pinkish and translucent. Add salt to fasten the process.
- Add ginger and garlic paste.
- Now add coriander and mint leaves.
- Add pre-fried dry fruits.
- Add yoghurt and fry the whole mixture till all the water left out by yoghurt is evaporated.
- Add all dry powdered masalas (Turmeric, kasuri methi, black pepper powder, brown cardamom powder , cinnamon powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander seeds powder, red chili powder as per taste).
- Add water (1 cup) and give it a boil.
- Add pre-fried rice and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame. Keep stirring the mixture in between.
- Add saffron solution.
- You can add more water if required.
- In the end add butter and pomegranates (optional)
- Serve hot with any of your favorite curry or raita.
You might also like