Dal Makhani is one of Punjabi cuisine’s in India. This dish is a type of dal (black lentils and kidney beans) cooked slowly on low heat and has a large amount of butter or cream. You can be easy on butter/cream if you are eating this dal very often. It is commonly eaten with naan or tandoori roti.
Whole urad dal (Black lentils) : ½ cup
Rajma (Red Kidney Beans) : ¼ Cup
Channa Dal (Bengal gram dal) : ¼ cup(optional)
Ginger paste : 2-2½ tbsps
Garlic paste : 2- 2½ tbsps
Onions: One big, finely chopped
Tomatoes: One big, finely chopped
Cumin seeds (Zeera) : 1 tsp
Green cardamom powder : ¼ tsp
Bay leaves (Tejpatta) : 4-5
Cinnamon powder: a pinch
Clove powder : a pinch
Coriander powder (Dhania) : 2 tsps
Turmeric powder (Haldi): ½ tsp (Optional)
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp
Butter : 3-4 tbsps
Cream : 2 tbsps
Kasuri methi (Dry fenugreek leaves) : 2-3 tsps
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak all dals together for overnight.
- Pressure cook all dals with little salt at low flame.
- After the dal is cooked, mash up the dal a bit and keep it aside.
- Heat oil or butter in a thick bottomed pan.
- Add bay leaves, after it browns add zeera and let it crackle.
- Add finely chopped onions, ginger garlic paste and cook till they are golden brown in color.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add well chopped tomatoes and cook till they are completely soft. For this you can cover the lid with constant stiring.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, clove powder, cinnamon, green cardamom powder, butter and remaining salt.
- After the masalas are cooked properly add water of cooked dal and let the whole mixture boil.
- Now add slightly mashed up dals.
- Add kasuri methi and cream.
- Now simmer the dal at very low flame for at least 30 minutes. Keep stirring the dal in between as it might stick at bottom.
- Serve hot with naan or paratha or rice.
Possibly Related Posts (Generated Automatically)
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Palak Paneer (Cheese-Spinach Curry)
- Paneer Korma (Cottage Cheese Curry)
- Jhatpat Seekh Paneer
- Paneer Tikka Masala
You might also like
|Idli (Steamed Rice and Lentils Cake) Idli-sambar is one of the most loved South Indian breakfast dish. You can break the norm and...||Lauki Chana (Bottle Guard or Opo Squash with Bengal Gram Lentils) Ingredients: Lauki (Bottle Guard or Opo Squash): one medium sized, cut into small cubes Chana dal...||Kali Masoor Dal (Black Lentils) Ingredients: Kali masoor dal (Black Lentils) - 1/2 cup Onions- one medium, finely chopped Ginger...||Kala Chana Masala /Ghugni (Black Chickpeas Curry) Kala Chana Masala or Ghugni is another popular Punjabi dish. Its an excellent source of protein and...|