Bharwa Karela (Stuffed Bitter Guard)
Bitter guards- 2 big
Onion- one big, very finely chopped or paste
Garlic -one small bulb or 2 tbsps paste
Black pepper- ½ tsp
Cumin seeds (Zeera) – 1 tsp
Yellow sarson – ½ tbsp
Panch phoran (It is a mixture of methi, ajwain, saunf, sarson, and mangrail available in the Indian stores) – ¼ tsp
Turmeric (Haldi) – ½ tsp
Fennel seeds (saunf) powder-1 tsp
Garam masala- – a pinch
Mango (Amchur) powder /khatai – ½ tsp
Salt to taste
- Scrap off karelas and cut their tips.
- Cut the remaining karela into three pieces and scoop out all the seeds and flesh.
- Boil water with haldi and salt.
- Add karela and leave it in boiling water for few minutes . The idea of adding karela is not to cook them but is to remove bitterness.
- Dry karela with the help of paper towel and keep them aside.
- For stuffing, make a paste of onions and sarson separately.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add panch phoran and let it brown.
- Add onion and garlic paste and cook till it is brown.
- Add sarson paste and fry for few minutes.
- Add salt, haldi, saunf powder, zeera, black pepper, amchur powder and garam masala.
- Cool the stuffing.
- Stuff the karelas.
- Shallow fry stuffed karelas in preferably mustard oil on medium low flame with the lid covered.
- Keep turning the sides in between to ensure uniform frying.
- Fry the karelas till they are fully cooked.
- Enjoy it as a side dish.
You might also like
|Bharwa Masala Ingredients: Coriander seeds (Dhania) - 2 Tbsp Fennel seeds (Saunf) - 1 Tbsp Fenugreek (Methi)...||Karela Fry (Bhujia) Ingredients: Karela (Bitterguard) - 4 big in size Onion- one small,cut lengthwise Turmeric...||Bharwa Baingan (Stuffed Eggplant / Brinjal) Bharwa Baingan is one of my favorite baingan (eggplant) dishes. It is fast and easy to cook and tastes...||Masala Bhindi (Spicy Lady’s Finger/Okra Fry) Ingredients: Bhindi (okara/Lady's Finger) Cumin seeds (Zeera) – 1/2 tsp Bharwa masala...|